University of Maine
Stodder Hall Suite 300
Orono, ME 04469-5775
Getting Started
Create Account
How to Use Abroad Office
Getting Started
Get Updates by Email
Get Searching!
Return to OIP website
Program Search
Program Type:
Program Country:
Program Term:

International Insurance Information

UMaine requires all study abroad students to have international medical and accident insurance coverage during the entire length of your study abroad program period.


U.S. medical insurance is generally not accepted outside the United States, nor do the Social Security Medicare and Medicaid programs provide coverage for hospital or medical costs outside the United States. 


Direct Exchange Programs

Students will receive coverage through the "UMaine System On Call International Global Assistance and Insurance Program."


Recommended Programs: API, CIEE, CISAbroad, IES, ISA, SIT and USAC provide travel and health insurance coverage as part of the program cost. 


Other Programs: Discuss with the Study Abroad Advisor.


UMaine Required Insurance Minimum Benefits

  • Accidental Death: $10,000

  • Basic Medical Expenses: $100,000

  • Emergency Medical Evacuation: $100,000

  • Repatriation of Remains: $50,000

  • Political and Natural Disaster Evacuation

Filing Claims

Review your insurance coverage and understand its policy details. Educate yourself about how to activate the insurance coverage when needed. 

University of Maine Office of International Programs